HAIL TO THE DEADITES: NEW EVIL DEAD DOCUMENTARY COMING SOON!!!

Groovy Evil Dead Ash Groovy Gif

From Fangoria:

Sam Raimi’s THE EVIL DEAD and its sequels have amassed an army of followers, and their passion for the films is the subject of a new documentary that is seeking contributors.

HAIL TO THE DEADITES is being directed and produced by DiggerFilms’ Steve Villeneuve, who previously celebrated independent horror in UNDER THE SCARES. This time, he says, “The goal is to make a documentary about the fans with the fans. We think the Deadites are a big and strong family, and making this film will allow us to reach out to each other. As a fan, I want to know them and I want to meet them. I want to share my collection and discover theirs. This film is not just for collectors; it’s for all the EVIL DEAD fans in general who made this franchise a classic.”

UPDATE: CHECK OUT THE NEW TRAILER AFTER THE BREAK!

CONTINUE READING FOR MORE ON THE EVIL DEAD DOCUMENTARY HAIL TO THE DEADITES INCLUDING A VIDEO AND LINKS!

SAM RAIMI IS FINALLY WRITING ARMY OF DARKNESS 2!

Army_Of_Darkness_Banner_2_28_13

 

That’s right you primitive screwheads, listen up! In an interview with Fede Alvarez on Bloody Disgusting, he happened to drop a bit of news that Raimi and co. seemed more interested in getting a second Army Of Darkness off the ground before, perhaps, a sequel to the Evil Dead remake. Alvarez was quoted as saying, “The pressure is on them now. Because as far as I know, and heard, Sam is really determined to get Army Of Darkness 2 happening. He is actually writing [it now].” This seems to lend more credence to the news we reported on earlier of a potential crossover between the two Evil Dead universes. Whatever the case may be, Ash certainly said it best:

Groovy Evil Dead Ash Groovy Gif

 

WAS THE EVIL DEAD REMAKE ACTUALLY A SEQUEL TO CULMINATE IN AN EVENTUAL CROSSOVER IN EVIL DEAD 7?

evil-dead-poster1

 MEETS

evil dead original1

??

Source: MovieWeb

How could I have missed all of this back in March? Well I’m reporting on it now! Right now this news should be treated with extreme speculation, but rumors have been flying since WonderCon that Evil Dead remake director Fede Alvarez and the Raimi/Tapert/Campbell team have  further plans not only for the new Evil Dead franchise, but the entire Evil Dead franchise culminating in an eventual crossover with Army Of Darkness 2.

CONTINUE READING FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE RETURN OF ASH, ARMY OF DARKNESS 2, & THE EVIL DEAD UNIVERSE CROSSOVER!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRUCE CAMPBELL!

Born June 22, 1958 (the youngest of 3 brothers) in Royal Oak, Michigan, Bruce (Don’t Call Me Ash) Campbell is 54 today. Known famously for playing Ash (Ashley J. Williams) in the EVIL DEAD franchise, he’s also guest starred in a variety of Sam Raimi’s other films (though not as much as “that damn car”). I was a big fan of his starring role as Brisco County Jr. in the aptly titled The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. when I was younger, and watched Hercules Xena specifically hoping his character Autolycus, the best character on the show, would show up. More recently he’s had a starring role in the film, playing a parody version of himself, MY NAME IS BRUCE, and a consistent role in the successful (for whatever reason, probably because he’s in it) show Burn Notice.

He’s had a long and varied career portraying a variety of characters from good to bad, dramatic to laughable, and will continue to go on playing memorable characters for some time to come. I’ve been a fan since watching THE EVIL DEAD as a very young (maybe a little too young) child on video, and I’ll probably always be a fan. I hope you have a Groovy Birthday, Mr. Campbell.

Cheers!

3 DISC ARMY OF DARKNESS NECRONOMICON EDITION COMING SOON

If you’re anything like me, when the original BOOK OF THE DEAD editions of THE EVIL DEAD, and EVIL DEAD 2: DEAD BY DAWN hit shelves, you were first in line to rush out and add them to your collection, giving them their own particular place amongst your shelf as the works of art they are. And then we waited for what we believed to be the next in the series with ARMY OF DARKNESS, but it never came. For years we’ve waited, our hopes and dreams waning as the years went on. Finally, however, the wait is over. Australian distribution company Via Vision is pleased to announce the release of Sam Raimi’s ARMY OF DARKNESS: THE NECRONOMICON EDITION for $49.95 (totally worth it) as a triple-disc DVD and Blu-Ray set on June 6th, 2012. And yes, boils ‘n ghouls, I’m crapping myself with anticipation.

For more information about perhaps the most fantastically awesome news I’ve heard all year, we turn to Australian source Michael DVD:

The boxed set that boasts the third and final instalment of the much beloved Evil Dead film cycle, Army
of Darkness: The Necronomicon contains both versions of Army of Darkness (Theatrical and irector’s Cut), a litany of special features and comes packaged in a one-off deluxe presentation. In addition to the high definition original theatrical release offered on Blu-ray this volume also includes DVD versions of the theatrical and director’s cut, 12 hand drawn pages from the Book of the Dead and extras all housed in a collectable rubber Necronomicon pack. Bonus materials are many and include original drawings, documentary, ‘Creating the Deadites’, which explores the creation of the ground breaking visual effects, alternate ending, deleted scenes and audio commentary with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell who also provide comments and recollections for the director’s cut and deleted scenes.

“This is a great event with which Via Vision is naturally excited to be associated with,” says Nick
Wayman, Via Vision Entertainment Executive. “The release is packed with materials that make this a
must have for fans who love the Evil Dead trilogy, action and horror buffs and collectors of modern
film classics.” Via Vision will be releasing Army of Darkness: The Necronomicon through its distributor Madman Entertainment, and it will be available at retailers everywhere. 

This is going right at the TOP of my WANT IT NOW list! Be sure to check back here at Backwoods Horror as more information and specifications develop on this incredible release. Wow!

SONY, GHOST HOUSE ANNOUNCE PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY ON EVIL DEAD REMAKE

Posted on 8th May 2012 by aaron in News - Tags: , , , , , ,

Yes, yes, I realize I’m a little late on this by a few days…get over it. Following close on the heels of news regarding legal disruptions over the Evil Dead trademark, Ghost House Pictures and Sony have sent out a press release announcing the start of principal photography on the Evil Dead remake. The following is excerpted from the press release thanks to Shock Till You Drop:

Principal photography has begun on EVIL DEAD, in Auckland, New Zealand and will wrap in early July 2012.

Ghost House Pictures is producing the much anticipated remake of Sam Raimi’s 1981 cult-hit horror film THE EVIL DEAD; the film that effectively launched the careers of Sam Raimi (SPIDER-MAN franchise); Rob Tapert (30 Days of Night) and Bruce Campbell who played the Ash character and was Co-Producer of the original, now brings them back to produce an EVIL DEAD for today’s audience that’s high on the horror, gore, plot twists and more from a screenplay written by Fede Alvarez and Rodo Sayagues.  Executive Producers are J.R. Young, Nathan Kahane, Joseph Drake and Peter Schlessel.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions and FilmDistrict have partnered with Ghost House Pictures on a worldwide deal – excluding U.K. and France – for Sony Pictures to distribute the remake of EVIL DEAD.

Five twenty-something friends become holed up in a remote cabin where they discover a Book Of The Dead and unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival.

A core cast of young, fresh talent includes Jane Levy (Suburgatory) as Mia; Shiloh Fernandez (Deadgirl, Red Riding Hood) as David; Lou Taylor Pucci (Carriers) as Eric; Jessica Lucas (Cloverfield) as Olivia and Elizabeth Blackmore (Legend of the Seeker) as Natalie.

“This cast of burgeoning talent share the same spirit we had when creating the original,” says Tapert. “The desire to deliver an unexpected and outrageously scary movie experience for the audience.”

EVIL DEAD marks director Fede Alvarez’  feature debut.  Originally from Uruguay, Alvarez studied filmmaking and communications, later opening his own production and post production company.  In 2005 he won a scholarship to complete a masters in screenwriting in Amsterdam.  In November 2009, he posted his four-minute short Panic Attack!, which became an instant viral internet phenomenon prompting intense interest from Hollywood and Ghost House Pictures in particular.

“We found a brilliant artist in Fede Alvarez.  As a director, he understands what makes a story work and how to put the pieces together,” says Raimi.  “I’m really excited to see this story, that I care deeply about, retold by such a fine storyteller.”

So, barring some natural disaster or mishap, it looks like this travesty is going to occur. Does anyone care about art in filmmaking these days? Eesh.

evildeadcaption

RAIMI’S RENAISSANCE FILES SUIT AGAINST AWARD PICTURES OVER EVIL DEAD

Evil Dead Lawyers

Renaissance Pictures, created in 1979 by Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert, and Bruce Campbell in order to make the horror classic The Evil Dead, is suing Award Pictures over the Evil Dead trademark and rights to make the sequel. Award Pictures claim statements made in the 2000 book The Evil Dead Companion by Raimi and Tapert wherein they said “We’re never going to do a sequel,” are proof that The Evil Dead trademark was abandoned, leaving it up for grabs to anyone ready, willing, and able to carry on the franchise.

With all this in mind, Award Pictures had their sights set on making a fourth Evil Dead film titled Evil Dead 4: Consequences. Not so fast, says Raimi, who was already working on co-writing and co-producing an Evil Dead remake for Sony Pictures and FilmDistrict. Both Renaissance and Award Pictures are claiming they own the rights to the trademark, with Award’s film interfering with Raimi’s remake. Bring in the lawyers!

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Renaissance says in its lawsuit that fans “have long been eager for another installment,” and Raimi finally announced last year he would co-write and co-produce a remake of the original. Shortly before the announcement, Renaissance went to the U.S. Trademark Office to register the mark.

One problem.

After Renaissance did so, an objection was filed by Award Pictures, which says it has been preparing its own Evil Dead film. The company says that Renaissance’s hold on “Evil Dead” was abandoned and thus, Award Pictures should be deemed as being a prior user.

Award Pictures goes on to say that even if Evil Dead was a valid mark upon the release of the first film, the sequels can’t be counted as continued use because they were both “works for hire” and “single works.” Additionally, the company points to 20 other motion pictures that have used Evil Dead within their title over the years, saying that Renaissance has exhibited “uncontrolled, unregulated and undefended use of Evil Dead.” Finally, Award says Renaissance’s purported trademark claims constitute a defrauding of others in the entertainment industry.

Renaissance struck back this week with a lawsuit against Award Pictures, saying it indeed has used its mark, for example licensing Evil Dead video games, dolls, clothing, memorabilia, comic books, etc.

According to the lawsuit, “As a result of Renaissance’s use of the Evil Dead mark and the cult success of the films and related products, the Evil Dead mark has acquired enormous value, has become famous among the relevant consuming public and motion picture trade and is recognized as identifying and distinguishing Renaissance exclusively and uniquely as the source of goods sold and services provided under the Evil Dead mark.”

Renaissance says Award Pictures’ planned film entitled Evil Dead 4: Consequences, is intended to cause confusion to consumers and that the key plot elements and character names “would inevitably infringe Renaissance’s copyright rights in The Evil Dead.”

Alleging trademark infringement, false advertising and injury to business reputation, Renaissance is asking for an injunction against further infringement and further monetary damages.

So what does this mean for the fans? Whomever wins, we lose. A fourth installment in the Evil Dead franchise slapped together by an unheard of production house without the cooperation of anyone involved in the first three films would be atrocious. That being said, the forthcoming obvious cash grab of a remake not featuring Bruce Campbell, not directed by Sam Raimi, and co-written by the infamous Diablo Cody is going to be pure, undiluted crap on a stick. My suggestion? Pop in your copy of the superior original, bask in all its glory, and just forget anything that comes after Army Of Darkness.

evil-dead-1981